Monday, July 20, 2009

Movies and the Recession

Often I say that the movie industry isn't making enough movies to stay up - my parallel, of course, is from the fifties when movies exuded from every cultural orifice - at least, that's how I imagine it. So admittedly I have no factual basis for my claim that movie studios are more profitable and more imaginative when they are actually making more movies.

I mean, it makes sense - if you have a larger slate of films for any one year, you are more likely totake a risk - you'll lose less money if it's 1/10th of your potential revenue stream for the year, instead of 1/5th. Also, you'll overspend less - there have been so many awful movies with overwhelming budgets - movie studios will moderate more on their budget, and thus you'll end up with more imaginative movies, since directors and producers will have to think in unique ways to get more bang for the buck.

Well, I'm not completely crazy - a study recently proved me right! So HA.

3 comments:

  1. I think this applies to TV shows too. Joss Whedon mentions how a budget cut has made his storylines bigger (and probably better) in a Q&A that this comments section won't let me copy and paste for some strange reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm... what about posting a link?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried. I think it was at io9. No wait, I think this is it:
    http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/news/a-guided-tour-of-dollhouse-season-2-1791.html

    ReplyDelete