Thursday, April 30, 2009

Why I call myself a feminist

Because when my grandparents were getting married, this is what they might have bought my mom for bedtime reading. 

My feminism consists of these general statements of purpose:

1) I expect to be treated as an equal - someone with ideas to contribute and ears to listen.  I will listen back.

2) My ideal would be that my body would not define how far I could succeed in life - instead, what I can accomplish would be the criterion for my success.

3) I want to be able to have children - any feminism that undermines the power of motherhood is not for me.  

my parents have told me that my utopian ideals about being respected as an equal are stupid, and that the obsession with beauty will never change.  Thus, I should "play the role" that is scripted out for me in society.  My feminism looks forward to a time when I won't be able to say that to my daughter, because it won't be true.

3 comments:

  1. See though I don't think wanting to be defined for your body is a feminist ideal. I think it's a broader one because men too are treated differently if they are goodlooking or not...I guess you didn't say that it was a type of feminism but a lot of the time it's treated that way and it shouldn't be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would tentatively agree with you. But some of the wealthiest men in the world are some of the most unattractive (Bill Gates, for instance). So I don't think success is as highly tied to physical beauty for men as much as it is for women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find Bill Gates very attractive...

    ReplyDelete